Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
If you read the previous post, you know that a good turkey sandwich is one of my favorite things to pack for lunch. As a follow up, here is a cost analysis for the four other lunches that I mentioned are favorites of my wife and I. Additionally, I have also included two easy bonus lunches for your enjoyment. My hope is that after seeing how to potentially save yourself over $1,100 a year, you will feel well equipped to easily implement practical changes in your life in order to realize the same kind of savings!
Let’s jump right in:
- 1 large onion = $0.99
(I love onion, so a small one simply will not suffice!)
- 1/3 cup of butter = $0.92
(4/5 of a stick)
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour = $0.06
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt = $0.02
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper = $0.10
- 14.5 oz. can of chicken broth = $0.99
- 1 cup of half and half = $0.50
- 4 cubed cups of chicken breast = $7.49
(1.5 lbs. of chicken breast)
- 4 cups of wild rice = $2.39
- 1 package of mushrooms = $2.19
(We prefer using fresh mushrooms)
- 4 oz. of diced pimiento peppers = $1.29
- 1 tablespoon of parsley = $1.30
- 1/3 cup of almonds = $0.60
After performing some simple calculations, each of the 8 servings yielded from this dish costs approximately $2.49, including state tax.
We also like to have french bread with this meal. After buying a nice loaf, and cutting it into four portions, this only adds $0.53 per portion, including state tax.
Pure deliciousness for only $3.02!
- 5 cubed cups of chicken breast = $9.37
(1.8 lbs. of chicken breast)
- 1 cup of sour cream = $0.50
- 2 cans of cream of chicken = $3.14
(10.5 oz. and 22.6 oz.)
- 2 rolls of Ritz crackers = $1.45
- 1/2 cup of butter = $1.15
- 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds = $1.00
After performing some simple calculations, each of the 8 servings yielded from this dish costs approximately $2.20, including state tax.
We also like to have steamed broccoli with this meal. After buying a 12 oz. bag and dividing it into four portions, this only adds $0.74 per portion, including state tax.
Simple and tasty, yet only $2.94!
- 1 box of uncooked lasagna pasta = $2.19
- 2 jars of marinara sauce = $3.98
- 16 oz. of mozzarella cheese = $3.75
- 2 eggs = $0.23
- 1 lb. of ground beef = $5.49
- 15 oz. tub of ricotta cheese = $2.62
- 2 oz. of Parmesan cheese = $0.63
After performing some simple calculations, each of the 12 servings yielded from this dish costs approximately $1.67, including state tax.
Of course, you must have bread with lasagna! After buying a nice loaf, and cutting it into four portions, this only adds $0.53 per portion, including state tax.
Delightful and cheap, only $2.20!
- 1 lb. of ground beef = $5.49
- 1 seasoning packet = $1.19
- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes = $0.99
- 15 oz. can of beans = $0.89
After performing some simple calculations, each of the 4 servings yielded from this dish costs approximately $2.27, including state tax.
Then again, you must have cheese and sour cream with chili! After using up your left overs from the prior meals, both of these toppings add less than $0.35 per portion.
Resourceful comfort food for only $2.62!
On to the bonus meals!
1) Fried egg sandwich
I have found that the best way to prepare this meal is to fry the eggs and melt the cheese on top of them the night before work. Then, at work, I toast my bread in the cafeteria, warm up the eggs and cheese in the microwave, put them together, and voilà!
2) Peanut Butter And Jelly
“Really?! PB&J, that’s your bonus item.”
Am I talking to a child, or am I talking to an adult that is trying to optimize their life, and in the process save some money?
Including the turkey sandwich, you already have six fantastic options for lunch, so having a satisfying PB&J from time to time should be perfectly doable.
At only $1.11 including state tax, you should treat yourself to the $1.50 milk that is sold in the cafeteria!
Do you feel inspired?
Do you feel capable?
Do you feel empowered?
Now its your turn to go and implement changes like this in your own life!